The process of planning, enforcing, controlling the efficient, effective storage and supply of products has made the distributing industry one of the most demanding industries from a management (logistics) point of view.
Groceries are retail and basic foodstuffs gotten from a grocer, also known as a grocery shop. A grocery shop or store is a retail store where food produces, either fresh, dry, frozen, or preserved in other forms are sold. Some grocery stores also stock non-edible items like clothing, accessories, appliances, tools, and more for sales.
Types of Groceries Stores
- Products stored and sold by groceries are dependent on the type of grocery stores they are. Some grocery stores only sell vegetables and fruits. These kinds of groceries are small and popularly called greengrocers.
- A supermarket is a large store that offers different products and services. There are various sections in a standard supermarket, some of which include cafes, pharmacies and creches. Also, services like child care centers, video rentals, photo processing, and petrol stations may be provided. Asides these, however, some supermakets stock groceries too. They can be purchased by consumers alongside other products and services.
- Ethnic markets are grocery stores that specialize in the food of a particular culture or nationality, such as Italian, Indian, Polish, Chinese, and Mid-Western foods.
- Convenience stores, on the other hand, sell varied food products like fresh or preserved vegetables and fruits, processed edibles like candies, cereals, snacks, baked goods, etc.
Grocery Distribution Centre
A distribution center is a building or a storehouse where products produced by a manufacturing company are shipped to and from. Distribution centers are essential parts of the distribution chain. They are compulsory in ensuring order fulfillment, and adequate storage of goods to keep them in perfect conditions before shipment to final retailers or consumers, as the case may be.
Grocery distribution centres are distribution centres that primarily stock grocery goods. Some of their popular equipments are:
- Pallet Jacks: Also pallet pump, pallet trucks, scooter dog, or pump truck. It is a tool used to lift pallets and is common in warehouses.
- Loading Dock Levelers: Are useful for unloading vehicles at distribution centres or the point of sale. They help bridge the gap between the consumer’s building and the vehicle bed. This equipment is mostly used for trailers.
- Bumper: Bumper provides defense for vehicles to absorb impacts from collision. It can be found in the rear and front end of vehicles.
- Truck Restraints: This is a tool installed at loading docks to obstruct vehicles from leaving the dock while loading and unloading.